Michael has professional experience in both print and online media. His work has resulted in numerous awards and scholarships, an assistantship and a fellowship. It has been picked up by the Associated Press, CNN, MSNBC, the Huffington Post, Publishers Weekly and other media. His biggest proficiencies are writing, reporting and editing. But he is also greatly experienced in photography, videography, multimedia, page design, social media, public relations, open records and meetings, content and freelance management, and more.
Patch Media (AOL)—December 2010 to November 2012
- Launched and directed a news website covering Cobb and Douglas counties in metro Atlanta, including the incorporated city of Powder Springs.
- Received company-wide recognition for election coverage
- Had work picked up by CNN, the Huffington Post and Publishers Weekly.
- Gained attention of community as go-to news source.
- Coverage included city and county government, police, a wide array of feature stories, photography and videos, and much more.
- Recruited and managed a team of freelancers.
- Gained and interacted with large social media following.
- Organized and participated in marketing events to promote the site.
- Held weekly office hours for readers at area restaurants.
Chattanooga Times Free Press (WEHCO Media)—July 2010 to December 2010
- One of two selected for six-month paid internship.
- Received large amount of A1 placement for intern for breaking and hard news, feature stories, and enterprise and investigative reporting.
- Topics included local, state and federal politics, environment, crime, courts, business, education, health, fitness, military, travel and much more.
- Had several photos published with stories.
- Received the Award of Merit in the Golden Press Card Awards for being part of the team of reporters covering a triple homicide during a little girl’s birthday party.
- Had work picked up by MSNBC and the Associated Press.
The Daily News Journal (Gannett)—May 2008 to June 2010
- Produced up to two news stories and two videos per workday.
- Gained experience and clips that would lead to being selected to Chattanooga internship.
- Won $1,500 scholarship for in-depth piece on decline of recording industry and, in turn, relevance of MTSU’s internationally known recording industry program.
Sidelines (Middle Tennessee State University’s student newspaper)—November 2007 to June 2010
- Served as editor in chief, opinions editor and features editor.
- Created new sections in the hard copy and on the website.
- Represented newspaper in TV and other media, especially when it was threatened by budget cuts.
White Oak Conservation Center—Will work as intern for summer 2013, doing media relations and animal care
WUFT (PBS)—Began reporting and photographing in April 2013
Atlanta Writers Club—Served as the club’s videographer for 2012
CMA Fest—Public relations for the annual festival in 2009
Widespread Panic—Public relations for the band’s 2007 show in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- Sample videos
- Text stories and photos (from six-month Chattanooga Times Free Press internship)
- Following single story (several articles written over time about the stormwater fee in Powder Springs, Ga.)
- Soundslides (click “captions” before playing)
- Sample photos (click individual pictures for cutlines and captions)
- Page design
- Opinion column
- Feature article (about Austin City Limits music festival)
- Daily turnover of political debate
- Ron Paul speech (with photo)